We live in the era of the Internet. For companies, this means establishing and maintaining a digital presence in order to stay relevant.
Although the definition of digital presence is always developing, it basically refers to how companies perform online. It can mean everything from creating a user-friendly website to appearing on the first page of Google’s search results.
Why is it important to have a digital presence? If carefully maintained, a strong digital presence can equate to a company’s online success. There are a number of reasons that explain the need for a digital presence:
- Companies are able to establish authority by producing content that showcases their industry awareness
- It allows companies to build a rapport with their customers
- A company’s quality online content will likely be reciprocated with customers wanting to do business with them
- It forms a positive first impression for potential future clients
- Staying online means that companies’ information is constantly made available to online users
Establishing a digital presence is not difficult, but knowing the necessary steps in starting online can make all the difference between a thriving company and a stagnant one. Some simple steps include:
- Establishing your brand by deciding on the factors that make your company stand out from competition. Know who your target audience is and gear your content towards them
- Designing your company’s website that showcases reliable and relevant information. It should contain the regular landing pages (About Us, Products/Services, Contact Us), be user-friendly and easily navigable
- Utilising SEO so that customers will be able to find your website easily.
- Creating social media accounts to become more accessible to your target audience, thus garnering more clicks towards your website
- Getting your business on online directories and accumulate positive reviews
- Adding a blog to your website to upload industry-related content.
- Engaging in online advertising
Once these are accomplished, the next step is to maintain your digital presence, making sure that your presence is still existing for customers.
Companies should also be aware of knowing whether their digital presence has attained them online success. Basic metrics include:
- Page views
- Unique visitors
- Bounce rate
- Conversion and cost per action
For social media accounts, these could be useful:
- Number of clicks for each platform
- Word of mouth
- Number of followers accumulated
Besides these technical tools, other alternatives could be how easy it was for customers to navigate your website, and real-time analysis.
Online success does not happen overnight. It takes time and effort for a business to eventually achieve their targeted goals, and companies need to always be alert to analyse any key activity online so to ensure that their digital presence is always present.